View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
No- with a starting line up of Bruce Kimm, Mike Squires, Jim Morrison, Todd Cruz, Kevin Bell, Bob Molinaro, a rookie Harold Baines, Chet Lemon and Lamar Johnson- the fact that LaRussa could get 70 wins out of the wreckage was a testament to his future potential as a manager.

He delivered 5 more wins than the Pythagorean estimate for that team.

Ventura is delivering 4 fewers wins so far using that metric (from Baseball Reference), 3 fewer wins in 2012.

I'd like to turn the tables-

After 2 full seasons of Robin Ventura as a manager- what EXACTLY is the evidence or case for him to come back next year?
Have you checked out the Sox roster? Seriously. Putting losses on the manager would be like saying the reason Konerko is slow is he wasn't taught the proper way to run. I don't believe they way you are judging him on wins and losses, when several people thought the Sox would step back and they have unloaded some talent from their roster, is the way you would like to be judged in real life. If they guy had a stacked roster and this was happening, fine. But its not and you know it.

Besides, he gets another year of experience under his belt. That means he is only going to get better. I read experience is the key right on this board.i do like that you used the Pythagorean number. Joe Maddon was minus 4 his first year at TB. Minus 1 the next year, yet people here want the guy who stands next to him and is more quiet than Robin to manage the Sox. Unless you are Phil Rogers, using that number to judge a manager is silly, especially of a 95 plus loss team.

Last edited by dickallen15; 09-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.