View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
You bring up LaRussa's .500 record his first 2 months managing. Ventura's first 2 months were better. Tony's team lost 90 games the next season. He obviously should have then been fired, correct?
Seriously, there is no one on the planet that could get this roster to play .500 right now. Whether you love or hate Ventura's personality or managerial style, he is not the problem.
No- with a starting line up of Bruce Kimm, Mike Squires, Jim Morrison, Todd Cruz, Kevin Bell, Bob Molinaro, a rookie Harold Baines, Chet Lemon and Lamar Johnson- the fact that LaRussa could get 70 wins out of the wreckage was a testament to his future potential as a manager.

He delivered 5 more wins than the Pythagorean estimate for that team.

Ventura is delivering 4 fewers wins so far using that metric (from Baseball Reference), 3 fewer wins in 2012.

I'd like to turn the tables-

After 2 full seasons of Robin Ventura as a manager- what EXACTLY is the evidence or case for him to come back next year?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."