View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
And Ventura played how many seasons in the big leagues? Let's not pretend he hasn't been around the game long enough to know what's going on.

The main problem I have with Ventura is his management of the pitching staff. Several folks around here have assured me that Cooper is really the one pulling the strings with the pitchers anyway, and he has plenty of experience. So maybe I should be directing my criticisms toward the pitching coach.

I know, I know. People need a head. Maybe I should just bow out of this discussion. But I just think it is criminally stupid to believe Ventura was hired as a marketing ploy to placate fans. If you believe that, you also have to believe the Sox felt they had no chance to contend either last year or this year. I completely disagree with that. I think they felt they could win coming into last year, and frankly, they should have won. I think they felt they could win coming into this year, and obviously, they were wrong. Now, they are quite rightfully changing course.
I don't think they did believe they had a chance to contend in 2012. When you look at where that team was in 2011, they had Adam Dunn coming off of a historically awful season, Rios was abysmal and Peavy was a year removed from unprecendted surgery and one of their best pitchers was leaving. They needed all of those guys to bounce back (and AJ too who had a bad 2011), there was no reason to believe that that would happen, all they could do was hope for the best and that maybe they'd catch lightening in a bottle (which has been Kenny's MO for the past couple of years).

If they had any intention of contending I don't think that they would have hired a manager whose only coaching experience was in high school. Yes Robin had years of experience as a player but there is a big difference between that and managing. Even the ads during the off season that year featured Ventura's grandslam against the Rangers in 1991 trying to rekindle good feelings. I think the White Sox surprised themselves by contending last year and Ventura's complete lack of experience really showed itself in September last year.

Go Sox!!!