Originally Posted by kittle42
My opinion - the Sox thought two things when bringing Robin in:
1. We are going to suck and this will deflect blame - people will not want to blame a fan favorite who is new to managing.
2. People will come to games because Robin is here despite the record.
0. Ozzie was a train wreck. We need someone with class to represent the organization.
3. He has some potential as a leader. We aren't going to contend for several years, so he has time to grow into the role.
4. I'm the meantime, if his inexperience costs us wins, it only helps with the rebuild.
I think they were looking for Doc Rivers with the Celtics.