View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Scherzer, barring some very bad stuff in September, will win it unanimously. He deserves to win. Sale isn't even close, but will probably get a few third-place votes, although that could depend on who is voting this year.

Sale is not a consistent winner, and it isn't only a matter of run support, although he hasn't gotten a lot of that. It's a matter of, in too many cases this season, at least for an elite pitcher, not making the big pitch when he needs to. If you're having a Cy Young season, you don't give up a grand slam after a walk to load the bases when your team has a 3-0 lead in the sixth inning at home. Sale has some impressive numbers, but he isn't winning all the games an elite pitcher should be winning.

I expect more out of Sale than I've seen this year. I hope he is getting the experience this year that will help him win more games in the future.
I...but...how...what...?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"