View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Pittsburgh only averaged 17,722 fans when they last won a World Series in 1979. The Whitesox averaged 16,622 in 1979. I can't say I feel to sorry for most Pirate fans. The Pirates during the 1970's never even averaged 20.000 fans and they won two World Series and 6 NL East Championships. The Whitesox with zero Pennants at least averaged 20,000 fans in 1977. It's nice to see them win but i'd rather see the Yankee's or Redsox win than have some football town with a bunch of fair weather baseball fans win.
I don't think we really can blame today's fans for attendance numbers from 35 years ago. How old are those fans from 1977 today? 60? 70? It was a different era and essentially a different generation of fans.

I also vaguely remember that the AL and NL counted attendance differently back then. I might be wrong about this, but I want to say the AL counted ticket sales while the NL only counted the number of people who went through the turnstyles.

Even if 1970s ticket sales were relevant, as fans who have had the "attendance" issue waved in our face by stupid Cubs fans over the years, I'm not interested in throwing the attendance issue at the Pirates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I'd guess it's pretty likely that 99% of Pirates fans are also Steeler fans though, which was Homefish's point in the first place.
...and, as I said earlier, based on that logic, I should hate the Bears because it's pretty likely that 90% (or whatever) Cubs fans are also Bears fans.

At any rate, I guess I'm not NFL-centric like most people are and I feel like I can root for the Pirates (or whatever other MLB team) without worrying about what football team is from the same city.

Can we just make this thread about the Pirates and baseball instead of making everything revolve around the NFL?