View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I am not evading anything. The following is the point in my argument.

Show me the pitchers who have been shut down when they have pitched more innings than they have ever pitched before and show me a list of pitchers who haven't been shut down when they have pitched more innings than they have ever pitched before if you want to call it a trend.
As soon as you show me pitchers who have shut themselves down to preserve their stats, I'll go do this research. You statement regarding that, IMO, is totally unfounded. Thus, your answers have been evasive on that point. But nice way to put the onus on me because you don't want to do the research. A common theme on these boards when people make assertions without data.

Quote:
Maybe what the Mets are doing with Harvey has an appeal to people to a segment of fans, but it isn't the way most of baseball operates.
It obviously has an appeal to organizations recently. We hear about it every season now for the past three, and especially two. We never used to hear about it before. Maybe "It seems to be a growing trend" is what I should have stated.

Quote:
For that matter, no one has even shown that pitchers who have their innings limited have longer careers than pitchers who don't.
Correct, because this practice has only started recently. In 30 years, we will probably know if it makes any difference. I am just saying that teams are operating on that premise now - right or wrong - and not some wacky "stats saving" theory because the "They're tired and we want to limit innings and save their arm" practice is some tinfoil hat thought.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."