View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You are comparing Dylan Axelrod - Dylan Axelrod - to pitchers who are expected to be the franchise. That may close the case.

And it is a recent trend - ask those who yammer on about 300 innings on three days rest up until the 80s.

Anyway, continue to evade and only partially answer. It is ridiculous to think the Mets or Harvey are protecting stats.

You also haven't addressed any of my other points.
I am not evading anything. The following is the point in my argument.

Show me the pitchers who have been shut down when they have pitched more innings than they have ever pitched before and show me a list of pitchers who haven't been shut down when they have pitched more innings than they have ever pitched before if you want to call it a trend.

This is not a trend. Pitchers not pitching 300 innings is a trend

If shutting down pitchers when they have pitched even 30 percent more innings than ever before is a trend, Axelrod doesn't start three games after making his debut in relief. That is the comparison. There will be teams in September starting young prospects who havealready gone by the most innings they have ever before pitched in a season. Some of the teams will be in contention. More will not be. The only thing Harvey gains by shutting down is whatsome would consider a better statistical year. He loses the experience that he will need if he is ever to be the foundation of a contending rotation. Pitch him deeper into the season this year, and next year he won't reach his career high in innings pitched so quickly.

There are isolated instances of major league organizations shutting pitchers down because they have pitched too many innings. Sometimes previous injuries are not a factor. Otherwise, major league teams are not shutting down their pitchers, even if it's only Dylan Axelrod. It wasn't as if the Sox sacrificed to medicrity and inevitable injury two years ago.

Maybe what the Mets are doing with Harvey has an appeal to people to a segment of fans, but it isn't the way most of baseball operates.

For that matter, no one has even shown that pitchers who have their innings limited have longer careers than pitchers who don't.