View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He is being shut down because he is soon going to pitch more innings in a professional year than he has ever done, and the Mets are well out of it.

Whether one thinks it's the right thing to do or some "new coddling trend," baseball is different today than it was even ten years ago - a lot of young pitchers used to start in the pen - now, more and more are being brought in to be in the rotation immediately. I am sure innings limits are tracked in the minors, as well.

I hate to be one of the people to make this type of comment, but your assertion of your opinion as fact really calls for it: I trust major league baseball organizations who have shifted to this model over the opinions of fans.

I know I am being harsh, but you are always a poster who, whether I agree with the post or not, makes points backed by rational statements and, importantly, facts. Just hoping you would do the same here.

Also, since you conveniently ignored it while making bold statements of "opinion/fact," I'll wait while you go take a look for the pitchers who just quit on the season early to protect their stats. I am pretty sure I won't get much of or any response there.
Shutting down a pitcher because he has pitched more innings than he ever has before is not a trend. More pitchers who have pitched more innings than they ever have before are not being shut down than are being shut down.

In 2011 Dylan Axelrod pitched more than 40 innings more in the minors than he ever had before. The Sox didn't shut him down. They brought him up in September and gave him three starts.

The only reason to shut a pitcher down is fear of injury. It is ridiculous to shut down a healthy major league pitcher simply because he has pitched more innings than he ever has before. Next year, if the Mets are contending, presumably he will be in a similar position at a similar point in the season.

If Harvey is becoming less effective, ending his season early protects his stats. But being a quality major league starting pitcher means pitching through some dead-arm stretches.