View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Chris Sale is probably one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball. He is in the top 10 in ERA and SO. He is also still young and as such still gaining experience.
I bet fans of every pitcher in the top 10 would say their guy needs to concentrate on making a good pitch every time they throw the ball. What ML pitcher already makes a good pitch every time they throw the ball????
Sale has been damn good so far. I am not sure why he should control his emotions. Overall being emotional has been pretty successful for him. Heck we had plenty of people say Rios wasn't emotional enough. I know Clemens and Shilling were very much like Peavy when they made a bad pitch. They probably needed to follow the make a good pitch every time rule as well.
Sale is a great pitcher on a lousy team. I hope he doesn't make too many adjustments because a top 10 ML pitcher is very rare.
Okay, so he's in the top 10 in ERA and SO. That's good. He can be better in the win department. The number of victories a pitcher earns is of course dependent on run support, but it's not the only determining factor. He can improve on the other factors.

If Sale wants to reach his full potential, then he really does need to cut down on his bad pitches. Scherzer and Kershaw hardly make any in a game. Their concentration for a full game is amazing. Sale should aim to reach that mental level. It can be the difference in winning a game 1-0 or losing it 2-1. He's come up on the short end of some such games when he doesn't have to.

Yes, Sale needs to control his emotions on the mound. If you've watched most of his starts I think you would know that. He had a start, earlier this month if I remember correctly, where he got frustrated and mad and basically gave up, resorting to just whipping fastballs with a loose attitude. The result was not pretty. Again, I'll also point to his last start. He did something similar after serving up the first homer. He stopped pitching and just started chucking. That resulted in another bad pitch and another home run.

Sale's potential is not limited to being a Top 10 pitcher. He can be in the top handful and perhaps even the best, if he learns along the way and improves his mental makeup.