View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Well put.

For the life of me, I don't know why people believe pitching a full season will do a pitcher harm in the future. I do see cases where pitchers come back from pitching in the World Series and aren't as sharp the next year from which some would surmise there is a workload carryover. But that isn't just about inning pitched or pitches thrown. It could be about pitching an additional month and not getting a full off-season to rest.

You see a lot of young pitchers who fade in September because they have never pitched so deep in a season before. If you want to develop strong starting pitchers, you want them to pitch in September.
I don't think it's just a workload carryover it's the type of work. I would be willing to bet that every single player playing in the World Series is playing right at the edge of their ability. There is no tomorrow. There is nothing to hold back this is why you play the game. Adreniline is maxed, effort is pushed to the extreme and every single pitch could be the difference between winning and losing the game.

The extra 6-8 starts from playing a full post season don't help but when the final 2-3 of an extra long season require every single thing you have left in the tank, that can cause fatigue.

At least that's what I would speculate. I admit I am not a doctor and have nothing but anecdotal evidence to rely on.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...