View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 04:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
It's possible, maybe even likely that both of you are better baseball analysts than I am. I still must disagree strongly with points. Maybe "fragile" isn't the best choice of words but how long has it been since someone threw 300+ innings or pitched 20+ complete games? OK, I'll change the word to durable. I mean just analyze the stats over the years. What better evidence do you need? As for pressure situations, I don't know what to think of that. I try to read TDog's posts but don't remember the one about "pressure situations." If I'm dense so be it but I don't think pitchers today are necessarily in more or less pressure situations than in the days of Rube Waddell or Walter Johnson. Maybe more so in the early part of the 20th Century when scoring runs were at such a premium. I think training methods have changed. I can't remember the last time I saw a pitcher with his wind breaker on doing pre game wind sprints. Or long toss. Also look at minor league box scores. Most starting pitchers are only asked to go 5-7 innings. It's just another part of baseball that has changed in my lifetime.
Pitchers may not be called on to go over 300 innings anymore, but the trade off is that today's pitchers mostly have longer careers than they did in the past (at least for those that are good enough to stick around).

When it comes to how the Sox are handling this, two of the few people I trust in this organization are Cooper and Schneider.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.