Thread: Dunn
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
What is this? I just see numbers with no reference.

I need to know what chart has an 8-time all-star, 7-time home run leader, and career .940 OPS Ralph Kiner in the same discussion as Adam Dunn.

4 time strikeout leader.
Lowest single season batting average since 1909.
Most errors of any left fielder through 2011.
2 All-stars, 0 playoff appearances. 0 titles.
Let go from Cincinnati because he can't play defense.

If you want to be rational and say "Adam Dunn is a top 12 1Bman right now even with his poor defense", fine. I don't want to hear "Frank Thomas, Miguel Cabrera, Gehrig".

He's on pace for 37 Hr and 85 RBI. People are excited by his hot streak. He's signed through next season, trade him at the deadline if he continues to hit the ball. Don't wait around for another 2011 season.
I think the similar batters come mostly from counting stats and slash line.

Kiner's 10 year career line is .279/.398/.548 with 971 Runs, 369 HRs, 1015 RBI
Dunn's first 10 years line is .250/.381/.521 with 865 Runs, 354 HRs, 990 RBI

I don't think it takes league averages into account, since Kiner's OPS+ and especially oWAR dwarf Dunn's by quite a bit. Of course if Dunn hit .250/.381/.521 over his time here we'd have a division title last season, and maybe even something to show for 2011, but the White Sox version of Dunn has sucked until about May 14th of this year.
AL: Jim Landis! I know that, Jim Landis!