View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfan View Post
The game is live, and the umps have a job to do. They call it like they see it as it happens. It's sort of like performing without a net. I don't see the need to stop the game to determine if an umpire's call was accurate. The human element, as it's offered to, includes the umpires as much as it includes the players. I know I'm in a minority, perhaps of just one, but I just don't see the need for that much scrutiny for an entertainment event.
The entertainment I'm paying for is to see two teams of some of the best baseball players in the world play the game that I love. I'm there to see Chris Sale pitch, Adam Dunn crush a 500-foot homer, etc., I'm not there to see Joe West call balls and strikes or Angel Hernandez ump over at 1st base. Their job is to stay hidden as much as possible and to get the calls right so the game has some semblance of of legitimacy.

I agree that this system is pretty silly, but I don't see why anyone would actively want the league to ignore technological advancements that would make the sport better.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know