Thread: 1990s pitching
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Was that the game they actually won 2-0?
No- I think you are thinking of the Andy Hawkins no-hitter* for the Yankees against the Sox in 1990.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99007010.shtml

It was 0-0 in the bottom of the 8th, Sox had bases loaded with 2 outs after 2 walks and an error. Ventura hit a flyball to left field that got caught up in the wind a bit, and Jim Leyritz let it hit off his glove for a 3-base error that cleared the bases. Calderon was up next and the Yankees misplayed another fly ball, and the Sox won the game 4-0 without a hit. Probably the craziest game I have ever seen.

Also, Barry Jones was the winning pitcher for the Sox and was 10-1 out of the bullpen on July 1!

*Asterisk in that MLB changed the official definition of a no-hitter later so that a pitcher has to pitch a minimum of 9 IP in order to get credit. Hawkins only had 8 IP because the Sox were the home team. That rule also cost Melido Perez a 6 inning rain shortened no-hitter that the Sox won AGAINST Hawkins and the Yankees 2 weeks later in New York.

I still don't understand that rule... seems to me that the definition of a NO-HITTER should be that you have played an official game, and at the end of it the other team has NO HITS.