View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
1) Meaningless. Did you suspect Pablo Ozuna of using steroids? Did you suspect Fernando Vina? Andy Petite doesn't exactly scream user but he was too.

2) Also meaningless. They don't award hall votes for being a team with almost a century of futility.

3) Those definitely will. Very few have done that.

4) Probably doesn't mean a lot as it isn't really a "stat" that so many voters look for.

5) Was Mark really a big saber guy? He led the league in hits given up a few times. I'm not a saber guy myself but wouldn't that work against him?
I'm not a big saber guy either but his career era+ is actually pretty good compared to alot of Hall of Famers. I would have to look this up but how many pitchers since 1980 have had 12 consecutive 200 plus innings? He's got a good chance of making it 13 if he does it this year. I know he's not a Hall of Famer as we speak but if he puts up 3 more seasons of 200 plus innings and averages about 3.0 war then he has to be considered as a decent candidate. A strong peak would have helped him alot but theres not to many pitchers who have been as consistent as him with no baggage over the past 30 years.

It's a longshot that he will even pitch 200 innings for 3 more seasons but it's possible with the way he throws and 16 consecutive seasons of 200 innings especially in this era will not be overlooked.

I think the 2005 championship will play a part in some voters minds. Plus theres not too many WS teams that have no Hall of Fame or future Hall of Famers and as forgotten as the 2005 Whitesox are to alot of people in the country they are still a team thats going to be remembered for bringing Chicago it's first WS since 1917. ........Frank Thomas wasn't really a part of that team due to postseason. I know he played a part in the regular season though.

The Florida Marlins might be the only team that I can think of that won't have any Hall of Famers. The 2005 Whitesox could be another one but I find it hard to believe that nobody on that team will make it. Mark Buehrle is probably the best player to have any chance of making it.