View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
I am disappointed by this trade. This is all Rios commanded? I would have waited to winter to trade him. For his production level, his salary isn't outrageous. Heck, I expected more of a return then this on Viciedo, and he's terrible.

I hope there's more too this trade or Hahn got bamboozled. What do we need another light hitting, high K 2nd basmem for? Is Jim Hendry the GM?

Or let's analyze it this way:

1. Assume Alexei is trded (is dumped a better word) prior to next season. Let's assume Bacon is our new SS.
2. Now we have Garcia, Carlos Sanchez, Semien, and Micah Owings (sp?) as options. Owings may be a little bit away. I'm as crazy about Sanchez as I am about Garcie ie-not at all. So how many light hitting second basemen do we need to keep the position warm until Owings or Semien is ready? IMHO, Garcia and Sanchez are utility players at best.

Bob

I tend to agree. Rios wasn't overpaid and had a mere 1 year left. We gave him away, unless I'm mistaken about the prospect we got and he's higher rated than I think he is (which is a ceiling utility infielder). Maybe it would have helped in future negotiations to call Texas' bluff and keep him. We were in the position of power here, yet they got what they wanted and we really didn't.