View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I think Rios, Peavy, and Crain are all gone, with Crain dealt within days of his return. As far as catcher, I think you see them go with Phegley and Flowers battling for it. I wouldn't mind a cheap veteran catcher as a mentor, but on the other hand, I don't mind having Flowers as a back-up because he'll be very cheap for a long time. With the C spot, I'd like us to finally draft one in the first or second round. I'm thinking if there is a good one available in the top 5 next year that we should nab him barring having a very top pick and a "can't miss" guy in there.

I don't mind having Beckham aboard at 2B but we have to work on his hitting, even upping his average 10-15 points would be huge. He can also swing over and play SS and 3B in a pinch. The contract situation will also be important. We might be able to do a Matt Thornton-type deal with club options getting pricier but it gives us the right to keep him if he's performing.

Because the team hesitated in bringing Phegley up, they don't know at this point whether he is a ML catcher or not. But early indications are he needs to improve defensively and we pretty much know Flowers is weak both offensively and on defense. Hahn probably has to wait till the offseason to determine what he does for the future.