View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I don't think you trade Beckham. I think this team has more holes than tradeable pieces. You need a catcher, a 3rd baseman, a CF, RF( assume Rios goes) probably a 1st baseman. Unfortunately it looks like SS, DH and LF will have to stay. So trading Beckham would only open another hole unless you are convinced Gillaspie can play 2nd.

I am assuming Rios and Peavy and a reliever all get dealt. Possibly Keppinger and DeAza also go. I assume Konerko retires.
I think Rios, Peavy, and Crain are all gone, with Crain dealt within days of his return. As far as catcher, I think you see them go with Phegley and Flowers battling for it. I wouldn't mind a cheap veteran catcher as a mentor, but on the other hand, I don't mind having Flowers as a back-up because he'll be very cheap for a long time. With the C spot, I'd like us to finally draft one in the first or second round. I'm thinking if there is a good one available in the top 5 next year that we should nab him barring having a very top pick and a "can't miss" guy in there.

I don't mind having Beckham aboard at 2B but we have to work on his hitting, even upping his average 10-15 points would be huge. He can also swing over and play SS and 3B in a pinch. The contract situation will also be important. We might be able to do a Matt Thornton-type deal with club options getting pricier but it gives us the right to keep him if he's performing.