View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 07:58 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
The 70 team at least played like they gave a ****.. These guys are past going thru the motions...They dont care if we see them pickin their butts, chewing on their gloves and stompin dandelions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I witnessed the 1970 team and never in my worse nightmares did I believe I would ever see a repeat of that season but here we are in 2013 and it looks like it might happen. The good news is things can turn around in no time, the 71 Sox under Chuck Tanner and some nice trades by Roland Hemond improved by 23 games and won 79 games. Richie Allen came aboard in 1972 and we almost won the division. We went 87-67 in 72 in a strike shortened season and played .565 ball which comes out to 92-70 in a 162 game season, so theoretically we improved by 36 games in two short years and contended for a division title and if Melton had not hurt his back the Sox might have won the division.
Good comments and background from the 1970 season, especially to those who lived through it. 1970 was a feeling of hopelessness. 2013 is more of anger. In asking him about 1970, Melton once told me that before free agency you just hope for the best and look forward to next year. 1970 was just the bottom the Sox had to get to before 1972. For me 2013 focuses on the blunders the GM made. Bloggers in DC noted a few years back that Dunn had no takers before he signed with Sox. And Rios lack of hustle was known before (and given what this guy is paid there is no excuse for jogging to first). Having said that, being the GM of the Sox in a Cubs town (with a stadium makeover coming) is tough. Attendance is very dependent on performance. Maybe that explains the risky moves (that backfired) that were made. But what makes 2013 more tolerable is there is still mileage from 2005 left. 1970 there was nothing to look behind to and little hope for future. Let's hope Hahn can rebuild the team from this bottom.