View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Absolutely right. Six up, six down for Chris Sale with 2 K's. Sale had the longest and best pitching performance in a 3 hit shutout for the winning team and no AL offensive player had a standout night. Oh, and Sale was the first AL pitcher to throw two perfect innings in an All-Star game since Roger Clemens in 2001. And Sale won the game!

Sale absolutely should have been the MVP.

+1

I disagree. First of all, when Cal Ripken got his "charity MVP" in his final All-Star Game in 2001, who was the real deserving MVP? In my view, the MVP of the 2001 All-Star Game should have been Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez who went 2-3 with a homer.

So, with the two most prominent "charity All-Star MVP's" of our lifetime (and, by the way, Ripken and Rivera are the only players to be named All-Star MVP in their final season), two White Sox players got screwed of MVP awards that they earned.

And that is what really sucks about charity awards in sports. Players and teams are supposed to get what they earn. Awarding "charity trophies" messes that up. Let's not forget that sporting events are about what happens between the lines. They are not supposed to be popularity contests, for crying out loud.
Absolutely agreed. If you want to honor a legend like Rivera or Ripken, given them a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or some such. Don't do it every year; just when appropriate, like for Ripken and Rivera.

The profound disrespect for the Sox galls me, because if Rivera were a White Sox and Sale were a Yankee, Sale would have gotten the MVP.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.