View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I just can't agree with this, as the Sox recent history does not justify such pessimism. In the 13 seasons since 2000, the Sox have had exactly three losing seasons and in two of them, the Sox went 79-83. Yes, the Sox will have a losing season this season but there is really no legitimate basis for predicting that under the Hahn regime, "the losing will go on for years."

The Sox have four lefty starters (Sale, Danks, Quintana and Santiago) on the big league roster and a righty starter in AAA (Erik Johnson) that form a strong starting quintet going forward. That doesn't include Jake Peavy who might stick around but most likely will be dealt for prospects in the next couple of weeks. If you can pitch, you can contend.

And with Beckham, Phelgley, Viciedo and Gillaspie, the Sox do have some young position players to build around.

I'm sorry but I am not ready to go "Eeyore" on the Sox future.

I'd agree with you, but then I'd have to ignore the fact that the run you're talking about was built up by a shrewd GM who built up a great minor league system over the course of several bad seasons that produced several core players as well as trade chips, all of which do not currently exist.