View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
No way do I want McDonough anywhere near the Sox.

I know he's a Sox fan, but our club has a unique flavor among Chicago teams, and to turn the keys over would make us another bland overhyped club in a forest of them. He's already done that to the Hawks as far as I'm concerned, where just reversing Bill Wirtz's policies and winning would have changed the culture and maintained what the Hawks used to be.

I want new ownership cut from the cloth of Arte Moreno and have him bring in his own people, not some Cub retread wallpapering over the cracks to make the Sox bland and more marketable.
Yeah, I'd totally hate it if the Sox were like the Hawks. That would be awful.

If the Hawks are "over-hyped" at this point, it's because of the two championships. It's silly to fault them for attention that was earned that way. No amount of PR could've made a dent in their public profile in comparison to a pair of Cups. And anyone who thinks John McDonough's only expertise is in PR just isn't paying attention or doesn't know what constitutes effective management (or PR). That might be his background, but he transcended it long ago, for those who think PR is a dirty word. Or, uh, acronym.

And I see zero chance that he'd join the Sox, unfortunately.