View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I think it is unfair to compare what the Cubs are doing and what the Sox are now dealing with. The Cubs went into this season knowing they would be awful and building for 2 or 3 years down the road. The Sox were coming off a year where they spent 110+ days in first place and expected to contend again for a division title. Contending was their plan for 2013 and it has obviously been a failure. The wheels are coming off the wagon this season and the team is going to be changing gears soon. We simply have to wait for the trades to happen before we can know for sure what Hahn's specific plan B is now that plan A has been a disaster. The Sox front office keeps things very close to the vest and don't use the media to hype upcoming roster decisions. Phegley and Simon Castro could be the first part of plan B being put in motion.
Good post. Let's not define the Sox within the context of the Cubs. It's two different situations. Just because we don't know what the Sox are planning doesn't mean the front office doesn't have a plan.

I do realize the Cubs came out and said, "We're rebuilding. It's going to be a long process. Be patient with us." That's nice. Good for them. It seems some fans are expecting the Sox to make a similar annoucement. Well, what if the Sox have no intention of undertaking a Cubs' style rebuild? They aren't going to come out and announce that when that's not their intention. Why would they?

IMO, the Sox are aware they can't afford to do what the Cubs are doing. A total rebuild might make sense from a pure baseball perspective, but it would be a highly questionable choice from a business perspective. I don't think Sox fans will support a long-term rebuilding project. Further, the Sox are already slipping into irrelevance in the city, and I don't think they can afford to be irrelevant for four or five years. After that, it would take multiple years of success to bring the fans back.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/