View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I continue to be baffled that so many people believe it will take the Sox four or five years to return to contention.

This year is obviously cooked, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100 percent sure) the Sox won't be very good next year either. But I wouldn't rule out having a good team again by 2015. It just depends on the moves Hahn makes over the next 18 months or so.

The Sox aren't going to do the same thing they're doing on the other side of town, nor should they. I hear people grump all the time about the Sox "not having a plan." Well, how do we know they don't have a plan? I'm sure they do have a plan; they just don't feel compelled to announce it to the whole world.
It could indeed take 5 years for the Sox to get back into contention. I'm not saying I think that will happen. But, I don't find that possibility hard to imagine.

Of course, the point is that there is no reason that it needs to take 5 years to rebuild. The Sox will have some bad, expensive contracts coming off the books in the next year or two. They have a decent core of 4 lefty starting pitchers to build around. Finally, it sounds like maybe there's finally some signs of hope that talent currently at the lower minor league levels may be ready to help the team in a couple of years. So, maybe Rick Hahn will have this team back as a contender by 2015.

Still, I really can't blame fans for being cynical, angry, and pessimistic at this point in time. It's a brutal season for all of us to endure and it's for the most part been a rather disappointing 4.5 seasons since the last playoff appearance. 2013 is the kind of season that makes cynics out of even optimistic fans. It's been 5 years since the Sox made the playoffs. It's not a stretch to think that they might take another 5 to get back there. Personally, I don't think that's the case. But I'm not going to say it "won't" happen.