View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That mentality exists because it seems like the Sox have more or less refused to hire anyone from outside of the organization. The only ones that come to mind of late are Marco Paddy and Mark Parent. Many of their hires seem to be more about loyalty in their organization and taking care of their own than they do in putting the organization in the best chance to succeed. Team ambassadors or someone sitting in a studio, who cares. But in terms of positions that truly matter, from the front office to the coaching staff, is a whole 'nother matter.

On an individual level that means less than it does overall. Perhaps Thome will succeed in his role, who knows. But overall the White Sox are clearly loyal to a fault.
Joe McEwing, Jeff Manto, Razor Shines, Juan Nieves, Jeff Cox . . . I can keep going. I understand your point -- The Sox seem to hire a lot of their former players as coaches -- more so than other clubs. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. But they also hire from outside their organization.