View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I was looking at this from the club perspective, not the player perspective. I think the 2013 Sox are about where the 88 Sox were. The pieces are different, and at different stages of development, but overall the picture is similar.

It will take two years to overhaul the starting lineup. If we focus on defense and fundamentals, we can be competitive again in 2015, similar to the 1990 Sox.

Given that we can overhaul the starting lineup in two years, it makes perfect sense to keep Sale, just like it made perfect sense to Larry Himes to keep Jack McDowell in 88.

Now we just need to hit home runs on our high draft picks in 2014 and 2015.
I guess I get what you're saying. I just think it's a bit of a strange comparison since the Sox stunk when McDowell first came up as a very young pitcher, and by the time he established himself, they were getting good. The Sox were (relatively) good when Sale came up, and now with him firmly established, they are a significant rebuilding away from being good again.

McDowell came up with a lousy team and got better as the team was rebuilt around him. Sale came up with a good team and got better as the team crumbled.

Maybe a more closely matched theoretical situation to ponder is this: Would the Sox have considered trading McDowell in 1991 or '92 if they had been 15 games below .500 in July and had a team made up of mostly crappy veterans who were worth nothing?