View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I think that I have an explantion for the 2013 Sox -- they are having a really bad season. And here are eight reasons why:

(1) Some players, like Alejandro De Aza and Nate Jones, who exceeded expectations last year are underperforming this year;

(2) The Sox have had a lot of injuries: three starting pitchers have missed significant time (Floyd, Danks and Peavy, with Floyd out for at least 2013), Gordon Beckham missed most of the first half and Dayan Viciedo was out for a while;

(3) Paul Konerko is coming to the end of his great big league career and is in decline;

(4) Lack of depth on the big league club and in the minors has been a problem;

(5) The Sox miss A.J., pure and simple;

(6) The Sox defense has really underperformed. This one is really hard to explain, as Gillaspie is an upgrade on Kevin Youkilis defensively. Maybe the drop from AJ to Tyler Flowers and the presence of Adam Dunn at 1B instead of Konerko accounts for the defensive collapse. I don't know;

(7) The Sox do not get on base enough and lack team speed; and

(8) The Sox are really shaky up the middle. Flowers cannot catch and cannot hit. Alexei Ramirez is having a pretty mediocre 2013 despite stealing more bases this year. His power has been way down and his fielding has been eratic. Beckham has been fine but is just coming back from an injury. De Aza is really a fourth outfielder.
Nicely done (even if it's a little off topic from the OP). I think you're pretty dead on - can't point at one thing, it's many. My comments on two items: AJ's absence has had a greater impact than even *I* thought, and Ramirez' defensive woes this year are the biggest mystery of all.