View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Great memories. I understood that its time was up when it was replaced but it was still sad. As a kid (hell, as an adult) I loved to prowl through the park. Like an old castle it was full of remote corners, dark turrets, catacombs and other forgotten crannies that fascinated me.

Little things: underneath the roof of the upper deck the wiring for the light towers were exposed cables hanging from ceramic insulators; behind the left-field seats the big, open arches let a breeze come through from Armour Square Park; standing on the ramps next to the scoreboard the launching of the fireworks could be heard right behind you (Foom! Foom! Foom! A couple seconds later were concussive BoomBoom! Boom!); Nancy Faust's organ in the upper deck behind third base. It was like a piano bar with people standing around it giving her requests.

I could go on. I miss the old joint but I'm glad the Sox stayed in the neighborhood.
Thank you for these wonderful words which so eloquently described our old ballpark. Happy Birthday, Old Comiskey Park! Yes, it was old and falling apart - but I loved Old Comiskey Park just the same. I spent most of my childhood there and especially loved it when the fireworks went off.

And I still get teary-eyed every time I watch this video:

October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!