View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well again I don't pretend to have any inside information on any of this, but there's just as many reasons why you'd take Jake over either Garza or Nolasco; Garza's been good since coming back from injury, but uh, he's coming off a pretty serious injury. And Ricky Nolasco sucks.

The ball is in the Sox's court, anyways, if they can't find a suitable price for Jake, then just keep him, his salary's not killing anybody, he's not keeping any blue chip prospect buried in AAA, he's one of the few veterans on this team that is actually playing well, and maybe this time next year, he's still pitching well and more valuable because there's another year less of guaranteed money he's owed.
Ricky Nolasco doesn't suck, he's a pretty decent #3. And yeah, Garza's coming off a serious injury, but he's actually pitching (and looking like Matt Garza).

I don't think we're going to see the kinds of offers for Peavy we'd need to get out of him. Between the options on the market and the timing of his injury, there's a lot of circumstances conspiring against us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
With his injury and return likely coming close to the deadline, I wonder if the Sox wouldn't be better off trying to deal him in the offseason. That said, no reason not to dangle him now and see what the offers are.
Unfortunately, he'll just be a one year rental then, so that also lowers his value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If that were teams' mentality, why would anyone sign better players to higher contracts? They sign the better players for higher contracts because they want to win. Peavy is a pitcher you want out on the mound in a big game, those other guys are not. Plain and simple.
It's not quite that simple. Peavy's an injury risk who's currently on the DL. He isn't inherently the best option out there. He's got a high ceiling, but so does Garza. Yeah, I'd rather have Peavy. But if the difference between the two is keeping my top few prospects? I'm trading for Garza, hands down.