View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Not really. If you plan on a total rebuild, with the current state of the Sox system, you are looking at 5 years of meaningless games. The question is where will Sale be physically and performance wise when you are ready to compete again? It would be Silly having him on the roster if there was no chance to win. Every pitcher is a ticking time bomb. Especially him. I hope the Sox re-tool, and not re-build. The pitching is there to compete if the hang on to it, and they should be in decent shape to pick up a couple of hitters, but if tearing it down is what they decide to do, trading Sale is probably the most logical move they could make. Projecting any pitcher 5 or 6 years from now is difficult, Chris Sale especially.
I totally agree with this sentiment. Sale, if the trade is impactful, should be dealt. Sell high, buy low.
AJ, Contreras, Garcia, and Dye were acquired for very little, as it pertains to trades or free agent deals. Thornton was another such acquisition.

If you trade a guy like Dunn or Peavy, the value isn't there for teams. You're selling low. Trading a guy like Sale is where you make headway.
Instead of getting some middling prospects and financial flexibility, you get bona fide baseball players. That is what the Sox need.

There are no studs on this roster. If you can trade your one strong player for possibly 2 or 3 really good players, you make that move.

Sale's contract makes the market even more demanding.
Stupid fans won't get it if he's moved. The smarter folk will understand it clearly.

This team needs a young core of talent like that of Cincy or Pittsburgh. You can easily begin augmenting that talent with creative free agent deals, especially with a team like the Sox that can actually spend some money.

Getting that young core is where the team should begin. Getting MLB ready prospects or young current players is exactly what trading a guy like Sale would do.