View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I think it is fairly obvious that a majority of White Sox fans think that the 2013 season has been and will continue to be a disaster. Most call for a massive rebuild and I cannot argue with that.

However, I believe the White Sox need much more than that. A few years ago Rocky Wirtz saw that his team was a failure on the ice and at the gate. He began to make to serious changes, and the results have been amazing. The Hawks won a Cup that alluded them for almost 50 years. The United Center is rocking again. And even if the Hawks cannot beat the Bruins, they have accomplished a great deal in a short period of time. How did this happen? Business as usual went out the window. The Hawks have a chance to become a true, elite NHL team.

The White Sox need someone outside the organization to come in and analyze what has gone wrong. They are on the verge on their first last place finish in 24 years, and merely trusting Rick Hahn alone to turn things around doesn't make sense to me.

This organization has been on a treadmill. It is time for serious change - not only changing players.
Of course, during the 1970 season, on the verge of their worst finish in franchise history, the White Sox hired a new GM and field manager from the Angels system, which really only worked because the manager was friendly with the enigmatic Dick Allen, whose curious career included one full season with the Sox that happened to be the greatest offensive year in franchise history. Compared with this year, the Sox were much worse off in 1970. They were worse off in 1977, although no one understood that at the time.

Maybe baseball should shorten the season by locking out the players for months only a few years after a work stoppage that leaves the sport with a salary cap. Not that the baseball teams that have money are automatically doing well. There really is nothing magical about going outside the organization. Most teams aren't getting it right. The Angels and Dodgers have spent all kinds of money, have had baseball analysts insist their the teams to beat, and they aren't much better off than the Sox. I really don't know that the other non-Michigan AL Central teams are really better off the Sox.

The Sox remind me of the Giants of about five years ago, no hitting but pretty good pitching, a team with some age and bad contracts. The promising young players that got a lot of playing time never panned out. The Giants had the advantage of playing in a park that helped their pitchers, and were able to draft Buster Posey, but when you have strong pitching, you aren't that far away, especially these days.

What the Sox need most is a good catcher to play good defense and handle the pitching staff. Unless I'm missing something, Flowers proved a fatal miscalculation, but Pierzynski wasn't going to be a longterm answer. I always thought signing Dunn was a mistake. If Guillen had used Quentin as his DH instead of Kotsay, he likely would have protected Quentin from injury while getting more production and keeping the team from making the offensively fatal mistake of committing big money to a low-average, high strikeout hitter who brought the offense down with him.

The best thing, I think, that could happen to the Sox this season would be a team claiming Dunn on waivers the way the Sox claimed Rios. I'm hoping that's not the longshot it seems because it would make improving the team so much easier. The Sox have some strong pitching, even if this roadtrip didn't display it. Filling in offensive holes is easier than finding pitching. The offense needs to severely cut down on the strikeouts and do a better job of making line-drive contact.