View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
.277 8HRs 37 RBI and 18 doubles so far this season is not shabby production by any means. He also put together a pretty decent 2012 and if his 2013 holds the course, it will be improved on what he did last year. It isn't gaudy numbers but certainly better than anything we are getting in our lineup right now. I also like the fact that he is a switch hitter which is another thing to factor into his value as a player. He also is a career .292 hitter with RISP and lord knows the Sox could use hitters like that. If he could be had at a reasonable contract, I would definitely be interested in Morales as a stopgap 1B or DH.
It's his worse season in a string of three straight years of regression. Stopgap is fine, but he probably isn't signing a one year deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Ridiculous. Calling a player, "garbage" without having seen him play nor giving him a chance at the major league level is just that, "garbage".
He hasn't made adjustments to his swing. I'm not the end all be all by any means, but the book on Phlegy's swing has always been that his bat speed was suspect, and getting enough speed caused his swing to be overly level (and therefore he would never get enough lift to show power at the major league level). Nothing in his approach has changed this year. Yeah, he's gotten different results this year, but what he's doing isn't sustainable, especially against superior pitching.

Garbage is being too harsh. But if Phegly becomes a serviceable backup catcher for five years, that should be considered a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
No offense, but that makes no sense. How can you say players who seemingly can't produce can't be replaced? Rios is the only decent hitter in the lineup, but you are predicting that Viciedo, Dunn and whoever will replace Konerko will hit well enough to bump Rios out of the middle of the order?! You are the most optimistic pessismist I've ever seen.

I recall people saying in 2004, how can the Sox offense replace the production of Ordonez and Lee? Except in that case those were two guys who were damn fine hitters...and they were still wrong.

I think I phrased it wrong. When I say replace the 3, 4, and 5 spots I mean with people that should be in those spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
That would still make him far and away the second best hitter on this team.
I'm not sure you wouldn't be the second best hitter on this team.