View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI High Priest

117-2-2. Not much disagreement on this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Of course it's a lost season. I'm 46 and this is the hardest Sox team to watch in my lifetime. Atrocious hitting, terrible fielding and daily blunders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This analogy isn't perfect, but it's a useful illustration: This Sox team is roughly where the 87/88 Sox are.

Sale is McDowell. Beckham may finally be developing into a solid infield leader and hitter like Ventura. Reed is Thigpen. Carlos Sanchez, down on the farm, could be another young all-glove, zero power shortstop like Ozzie. Quintana and Santiago could be like Greg Hibbard and Eric King. Nate Jones could be Scott Radinsky.

Rios, Crain and Alexei might together net us in quantity the equivalent of what we got in quality for Harold Baines. Perhaps out of the prospects we acquire we nab a catcher or center fielder and a reliever who contribute next year. And we'll get salary relief from Paulie and Floyd's expiring contracts, which can be used to sign two stopgap outfielders and a catcher.

No, we haven't just drafted another Frank Thomas. But maybe we get a really solid hitter with our 2014 first round draft pick, and, after a lousy 2014, we draft the next Alex Fernandez in 2015.

By not trading away our young starting pitching, we could be rebounding by 2015 and competing by 2016.
I've said it before in other threads, but this is the least interesting Sox team for me since the 1986-88 era when the Sox wore the Campbell Soup C/Einhorn E caps and ownership was planning for St. Petersburg.

1989's team was fun to watch because you could see the young talent come together. Even when the Sox fielded lousy teams in the late 90s, at least they had a young talented core in Konerko, Lee, and Ordonez.

I know fortunes in baseball can sometimes turn around quickly in a few short seasons, but based on the lack of enough young talent expected to arrive any time soon, I think we're in for a lot more disappointment for the foreseeable future.

At least Sale and Reed have been worthwhile to watch. Quintana and Santiago too. But this offense and defense are just dreadful.