View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM
WSI Guru

Foulke:

With respect...again I understand your position but I'd make the case that when things have gotten so bad that the organization can't even put back to back winning seasons together since 2005-2006 you've got a deep, deep problem.

Sure the Sox rebounded in 2008 and 2010...what happened again in 2009 and 2011?

CONSISTENCY is the key, consistency in "contending"...not just in what is usually a crappy division but having a legit shot at the American League pennant should be the goal (Kittle has talked about this many times as I remember...)

You simply can't "rebuild" and "contend" at the same time, it just doesn't work. I think the Sox have shown it doesn't work. You can't simply paste over the cracks and hope. That is only a temporary solution.

Honestly I don't care what approach they choose but "it's time" to pick a lane and stay there and give whatever avenue you take a chance to really work over a period of time.

If they want to take the Tampa approach and build through the draft...fine.

If they want to take the Yankee / Angel / Rangers / Red Sox approach and buy every good free agent out there...fine.

Just stop screwing around trying to do both.

But the other factor whichever way the Sox choose to go is this, you have to have sharp people making the decisions and putting areas in action.

Do the Sox have those folks right now at the minor league and major league levels?

Many would say no because in this organization, loyalty is apparently worth more than winning.

That's hard for me to say by the way, some of those folks are good friends of mine but the bottom line is that the record on the field shows something is badly wrong and has been wrong overall for the last six years.

Eventually like my late father used to say, "it's time to **** or get off the pot..."

Lip