View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 02:11 AM
WSI Guru

Just some more thoughts on tonight's farce. Might be a good discussion topic if a mod wants to move it into a new thread.

I think there are two main reasons why you keep seeing the same things over and over from players the past few years in particular (in no particular order)

1. The organization from the top down does not hold people responsible for results. Loyalty means more than performance...than winning. That not only includes players but the front office.

2. Ozzie tried, Robin has tried to get fundamentals taught and preached (granted I honestly don't think Ozzie cared much but in fact he did try from time to time). Yet the same players are making the same mistakes.

There's a reason why guys can't hit the cutoff man, execute bunts, work a hit and run, keep getting caught on the bases. It's because they are baseball-stupid. Not saying they aren't smart guys, not saying they don't have common sense, I'm saying in terms of the small things about the game, the details, they are simply baseball stupid.

And it's costing the Sox wins.

The players know that Robin has very little he can hold over them despite the stupid things they keep doing. Who is going to replace DeAza for example when the Sox don't have a leadoff man? Who is going to replace Ramirez and his half assed attitude when they don't have another shortstop??

The players know this...Robin has to know it and the fans have known about this stuff since 2009.

Plenty of blame to go around, absolutely....but ultimately the bottom line is ownership has to set the tone, be in charge, place demands...and right now ownership is not doing any of those things.

Lip