View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I find it funny that the Sox cut ties with Frank Thomas when he was injured and declining. Even in 2005 when he could only get 35 games in - he had a .905 OPS.

Swamp Donkey hasn't sniffed that with the Sox. 3 years later Frank was cut from the Blue Jays after 16 games for putting up the type of numbers that Dunn has these past 3 seasons.
How are the two positions even relevant to one another? The White Sox didn't re-sign Thomas after he only managed 35 games near the end of his career, concerned for his health as well as his declining skills. The A's signed him but didn't sign him after the season, concerned for his health and diminishing skills for what he was asking. The Blue Jays signed him but let him go back to the A's, picking up most of his salary, in his second season because of his diminishing skills. The A's saw the skills diminished, and no one had any interest in Thomas after that. The Blue Jays have dumped some big contracts. Vernon Wells and Alex Rios could have been much worse financially, though, and the Blue Jays aren't exactly a 21st century model franchise.

The White Sox signed Dunn in what was supposed to be the peak years of his career, not believing he had issues of health or diminishing skills. He only signed the one contract. If in the last year of that contract he only plays 35 games, I doubt the White Sox will re-sign him.

The White Sox didn't cut Thomas before his contract was up. The White Sox haven't cut Dunn with time left on his contract. I see only consistency.