Thread: 2013 Draft
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I know next to nothing about drafting or how baseball players develop before they make the show. No, make that nothing that I know.

So with that disclaimer, I read that the pitcher they drafted in the 2nd round is looking likely to end up in the bullpen should he make the majors. Is that normal for a high prospect? It just seems to me like that would be a waste for such a high draft pick as a starter, aren't a lot of relievers just failed starters anyway and could be found in later rounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Not necessarily. Tanner Scheppers, Rex Brothers, and Addison Reed were all drafted relatively early with the primary focus on being a great bullpen arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
No, it's not odd. Early first round would be. It's why you saw Stanek fall to the same range. Most teams believe with his command and injury concerns he'll end up in the pen. High end pen choices go in that range.

Now, whether or not our kid (who isn't on anyone's top 100 board) belongs there is a huge question.
Actually it's extremely rare to take a high school player in the 2nd round, who most project to be a RP. It's one thing to spend the pick on 'proven' college guys like Scheppers, Brother, Reed, Storen, ect.

The thing with Danish is that there's a minority of scouts who are absolutely in love with his stuff and it's really a crap shoot on predicting pitcher injuries. It's universal that his motion is awful, but that doesn't mean that he'll ever end up with an arm injury. Personally I kind of like the roll of the dice.