Thread: 2013 Draft
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I know next to nothing about drafting or how baseball players develop before they make the show. No, make that nothing that I know.

So with that disclaimer, I read that the pitcher they drafted in the 2nd round is looking likely to end up in the bullpen should he make the majors. Is that normal for a high prospect? It just seems to me like that would be a waste for such a high draft pick as a starter, aren't a lot of relievers just failed starters anyway and could be found in later rounds?
For a regular, run of the mill bullpen arm, sure yes, but your elite relief pitchers do go early. Attached is a list of the top relief pitchers by games pitched and by saves that shows this contrast (note, this list omits players who were originally signed as amateur free agents).

Also, if the Sox may have reached a bit for Danish in the 2nd round, it appears thay may have done so with the hope he'll sign for under slot and open up some money for later picks. Their 4th and especially 5th rounders seem pretty aggresive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP by Draft.JPG (61.6 KB, 14 views)

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay