Thread: Injury Updates
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh, good ****ing Lord, the usual over-the-top, hyperdrama.

First, anyone who thinks the Sox should have traded Peavy already is completely out of their mind. Please explain how it would have helped the team to give away a valuable asset that's signed to a team-friendly deal in May, a period when no team is offering solid prospects for veterans. Yes, there is inherent risk when you hold on to a player in hopes as time and performance pass that his value will rise, and yes, if Peavy's hurt until the trade deadline, that will be a missed opportunity for the Sox, but they need impact players, not the usual organization filler. Holding Peavy until July and hoping a desperate team in need of a veteran arm was the right play. I really shouldn't have to explain this. It is possible to be realistic of the Sox's chances this year AND ALSO not think they need to completely panic and sell everything for nickels on the dollar.

I could entertain the idea the Sox should have traded Peavy if he had some ridiculously long and expensive contract that would impair the team's ability to rebuild, but he doesn't, he's here for 1 more season at a very reasonable rate for a guy whose been around the Top 15 of WAR for P for most of the season.

Second, Hahn was frequently praised as a well regarded up and coming GM. What a ridiculous assessment based on absolutely nothing.
I don't have time to re-list the more than a dozen craptular off-season decisions I've chimed in about Hahn making. But not trading the Peavy with his injury history off of an obviously bad team turned the one decent offseason move he made into another loss. We could have gotten a decent prospect for him. Now he's hurt beyond the trade deadline, meaning we can only trade him during the off-season, when he's a one year player and not likely to fetch anything. The only reason you don't trade him and his injury history before this point is if you think we're competing. And if that's the case, then chalk it up to yet another instance Hahn has shown utter incompetence in the GM role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Not at all, it's a reminder that you spent the better part of the off-season around here banging the drum that the Tigers were a shoe-in to clip 100 wins and run away with the division, yet here we sit, in June, and they're not even on a pace to win 90 right now (this despite the fact they have played one of the least difficult schedules in the AL to date). More of a reminder to people to be wary of your over the top, ridiculous assertations based on your general track record of being hilariously, hilariously wrong about everything.
They have like a +72 run differential. They're going to win 95+ games. They're very likely to win 100+ games. The only people doubting that are those that can only look at wins and losses as opposed to the things that actually project how a team is playing.