View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Lip,

Do you have some inside info regarding this? I was pretty pleased last year with the way the draft went, seemed as though kids were being drafted on their talent level, not based on their agent or asking price.
Rdivaldi:

I have been told a few things but can't say they are completely accurate until we see what happens.

The new rules take out some of the issues regarding what a drafted player can demand but let's just say that JR and Boras aren't going to be exchanging Christmas cards. I'd be surprised if the Sox drafted a Boras client or someone he is being known to 'advise' high unless there are some extenuating circumstances.

Despite what you might hear from time to time the two men do not get along, Kenny doesn't get along with him and they are still calling the shots regarding the draft.

For what it's worth I've also heard the heat is starting to get turned up on Doug Laumann although that isn't fair because he takes orders just like other people. One of the issues supposedly is that he seems to be drafting only kids he has personally seen and has been taking a number of kids from the Northeast where the weather makes accurate scouting debatable. (Sometimes you can't see a guy as much as you'd like because they can't play as much...)

I have no idea if that's true or partially true or just BS, I don't claim to know the minor league sysytem...just passing it along.

Lip