View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
On this team, Gillespie is a top hitter and critical to its success. But really, you'd like to get to a point where he is your middle to bottom level hitter. But on this team, he's a standout.
I've been watching Gillaspie for a couple of years. If he is a middle to the bottom level hitter in your lineup, you have an excellent lineup. I always believed he could hit at the major league level if he had a chance, but I'm disappointed that he's striking out so much.

I really like these sorts of games, although I just got the highlights. Following it took me back to the 1960s. I even had some sort of Pavlovian expectation for an appearance by the Hamm's bear.

Really, though, Ramirez at second with none out after doubling in De Aza, should have come around to score. The Sox could have expanded the lead with productive outs. It would have made things easier for Peavy. It was nice to see him gut it out, even though he was struggling at the end against hitters who had already faced him three times.

Getting Nolasco out of the game was huge, but you knew that with no margin for error, he wasn't going to face Dunn again. (Funny how Mike Dunn's job in this series seems to be to get Adam Dunn out with the game on the line.) The defensive replacement who is supposed to preserve the 1-0 lead gets the leadoff double, and a pitch later, he scores on a hit dumped into the outfield, the Sox having thoroughly scouted the Marlins left fielder and knowing a throw would be wanting in both strength and accuracy.

I like that the bullpen got the night off tonight. You don't often see that in games won 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth anymore.

It's also interesting that Gimenez started his second straight game. But maybe I missed something.