View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I can't imagine anything else in which we would continue to allow such egregious human error to continue unabated when the technology to rectify much of those mistakes exists.

That said, can we at least find some middle ground in saying that if we're going to have human umps, they be put through rigorous evaluations and competition every year? How do we keep letting **** umps like Angel Hernandez and Joe West seemingly hold their job forever? If we're going to stick it out with people, can we at least hold them accountable to be the best umpires in the business? Just as players are expected to perform at a certain level, it's becoming ridiculous how many times per night these guys blow a call. I can count three pretty awful blown calls around the MLB tonight alone
I like your second choice. I think they should use technology to rate the umpires. Certainly umpires should be rated both at the minor and major league levels. If a guy like Hernandez is missing calls, send him down to the minors until he shows improvement. You may have an umpire who is having a vision issue, an injury that limits his mobility to move around to get better views or even a guy who is partying too much and not giving his best effort on the job.

I am not a fan of letting technology call balls and strikes, determine goal or no goal, touchdown or just short. field goal or wide right etc.