View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I see this as a negative. The Sox need Sale and Peavy to pitch as much as they can this year to have a chance. Going to a six man would be reducing the amount of times they can help you win a game. I understand the point about Sale's health but it is hard to even say if giving him 1 extra day would save him from an injury.
That's generally my feeling, as well, not to mention the Sox bullpen is really thin behind Crain and Reed, I don't know if further diluting the talent is the right move. If Santiago (or Axelrod, I suppose) can pitch as well out of the bullpen as they have as starters, that gives the Sox 3 legitimately good arms in the bullpen and that is a nice luxury to have. If they had 1-2 more really dependable arms in the bullpen, maybe the 6-man rotation makes more sense, but as it is right now, I don't think they have enough to support a short-armed bullpen.

Maybe give a guy a spot start here and there during long stretches without days off to give guys extra rest, but going strictly 6-man, I think under utilizes your best pitchers and risk overtaxing your worst.