View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
So if we took players and made them use the "less selfish" approach from yesteryear in today's game, then we'd see even more runs, right?
It really is an irrelevant question. A better question would be whether a team with an unselfish lineup doing what it needs to do to score the runs it needs to win games. I think it's silly to think a team is going to win more games by striking out more.

Obviously, If you have hitters shortening their swing and protecting the plate with two strikes, you are still going to have hitters striking out. But if you can at least put the ball in play on a 3-2 count with one out and runners on first and third, and your manager is confident you can do so and sends the runner, you will score a run where you wouldn't if you are swinging as if you had no regard for the count. You can score a run in the inning with just a single, a walk and two ground outs even if the inning ends with a strike out. That actually kept the White Sox in the game for a while Wednesday night.

One of my pet peeves is the White Sox not scoring with a runner on third and less than two outs. It's not just the White Sox, but when I see it happening to other teams, it doesn't really bother me. Am I the only person here who is frustrated that the White Sox are striking out about 20 percent of the time this year when they come up with a runner on third and less than two outs?