View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I sincerely can't believe anyone though Tyler would prove to be THIS BAD if handed the starting job. Last year in limited at bats, he still hit .213/.296/.412. Not great numbers, but better than what he is doing now. His numbers are down across the board. In fact, last year, in his limited time, he did acquire 1.0 WAR, which if extrapolated to 162 games would have been about 2.5-3.0 for a full season, which is acceptable starter-level performance.

I don't fault the Sox at all in seeing what they had with Flowers, but his time has to be running out, especially with Phegley crushing the ball in AAA right now. There's got to come a time when you just throw him to the wolves, too, and see if he can make it.
Flowers is 27, so i think you're right about his time running out. I didn't realize it's already been almost 4 years since we first saw Flowers as a September call up.

I'm glad to see Phegley bounce back from the serious illness he had a couple of years ago. Hopefully he can continue the success he's having this year.