View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I understood all the reasons for moving on from Pierzynski. He's 36 years old. He wasn't going to duplicate his 2012 numbers. He's never been great defensively. He's a pain in the ass in the clubhouse, etc.

But, all that said, if you're going to move on from a guy, you have to replace him with another guy who is capable of giving you a good 120 games behind the plate. The Sox didn't do that. They simply promoted Flowers for reasons unknown. There was nothing about his previous performance that suggested he could handle the job. He just happened to be around, and he's cheap, so I guess that's all that matters.

As a result, we've got a backup catcher as the starter and a Triple-A catcher as the backup. That position is a major problem for the Sox, and anyone with two eyes and a brain should have been able to see that coming into the season.u

"Getting more at-bats" wasn't going to fix all the holes in Flowers' swing. He'll run into a few and knock 'em out of the yard, sure, but he's never going to hit more than .220 with his current approach. And even .220 may be overly optimistic.
I think it was a combination of the Sox wanting to see what they had in Flowers, who had an excellent minor league career, and AJ wearing out his welcome with staff. Also, AJ was pathetic behind the plate last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).