View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I understood all the reasons for moving on from Pierzynski. He's 36 years old. He wasn't going to duplicate his 2012 numbers. He's never been great defensively. He's a pain in the ass in the clubhouse, etc.

But, all that said, if you're going to move on from a guy, you have to replace him with another guy who is capable of giving you a good 120 games behind the plate. The Sox didn't do that. They simply promoted Flowers for reasons unknown. There was nothing about his previous performance that suggested he could handle the job. He just happened to be around, and he's cheap, so I guess that's all that matters.

As a result, we've got a backup catcher as the starter and a Triple-A catcher as the backup. That position is a major problem for the Sox, and anyone with two eyes and a brain should have been able to see that coming into the season.

"Getting more at-bats" wasn't going to fix all the holes in Flowers' swing. He'll run into a few and knock 'em out of the yard, sure, but he's never going to hit more than .220 with his current approach. And even .220 may be overly optimistic.
It could be that Sox wanted to, but simply were unable to acquire anyone to replace AJ as opposed to simply deciding to give the job to Flowers.

I don't know what the FA situation was for catchers last year. It could be that Hahn had a payroll limit that he already was at or above and didn't have the ability to sign a veteran catcher. If they were looking to acquire a serviceable catcher via trade, maybe they just didn't have the enough valuable players to trade away to make such an acquisition.

I'm just trying to give Hahn the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't just simply sold on Flowers being good enough to be a major league starting catcher. They probably weren't really expecting the Sox to be serious playoff contenders this year regardless of who was catcher. So, maybe they felt Flowers would be enough of a stop gap for this year.