View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
They wouldn't have had to give out a bad contract to keep Pierzynski though. He only got one year from Texas. The Sox could have matched that deal. I wasn't necessarily opposed to moving on from A.J. What I don't like is they let him go without replacing him. Anyone with an IQ over 15 knew Flowers would not be an adequate replacement. Holes in his swing like swiss cheese, and all that "improved defense" talk was just that -- nothing more than talk.

Getting back to tonight's game, the Sox bullpen is looking thinner and thinner by the day. Once you get past Reed and Crain, there are problems. This was a winnable game until Omogrosso, Jones and Veal came on to commit arson. Santiago pitched a decent ballgame. Just didn't get much help.
I've come to expect this from the White Sox. Remember when Josh Fields was going to be an All-Star (according to KW) and was going to shock us with his improved defense (according to Joey Cora)? KW was just selling us snake oil with players like Fields, Morel, and Anderson. It looks like that hasn't changed.

....maybe Hahn just didn't have a choice. Perhaps he was told the $7M it would have taken to keep AJ was beyond the payroll limit and it's not like the organization had a lot of valuable prospects available to trade for a serviceable catcher.