View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

White Sox Baseball: Waiting for fat all-stars on other teams to falter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'm in this camp, too. I don't believe the White Sox MLB roster is "terrible" or "pathetic." Underachieving? To this point, yes. Frustrating? Sure. The Sox have several hitters producing below their career norms. In addition, the team has been hurt by injuries to key personnel. Despite that, they've managed to hang around. They are one winning streak away from being right back in the division race.

I'm not sure people know what "terrible and pathetic" means. I don't think the Sox have had a team that has fit that definition in some years. Probably 2007 would be the closest, but it's been awhile since this organization has had a 95- or 100-loss season.

If they trade Peavy, Rios, Konerko, Ramirez, Crain and Thornton, as some here seem to want, they will become "terrible and pathetic" because they don't have any MLB-ready prospects to replace them.

I just can't support the nuclear option. I don't see how it makes sense. The organization is better served to ride it out with these guys and see if they can turn it around. If they stay in the hunt into July, Hahn should try to add a bat and maybe a bullpen arm and take a shot at it. Why not?

It's real easy to sit here and say the Sox should trade any and all veterans who have value. But who exactly do you want to replace them with?
I agree. All "blowing it up" this season will do is make the Sox truly terrible. Worst of all, I have my doubts that doing so will exactly land us a bunch of top-notch prospects. More likely, we'll just end up with another batch of mediocre players that won't amount to much.

I wish the organization would improve their success in developing minor league players into solid MLB players, but I don't think trading players like Rios and Peavy should be their plan for doing this.